ℹ️
Welcome to the archive of the old FlatPress support forum. Browse more than a decade of FlatPress wisdom! Login is disabled.

The current FlatPress support forum is available here: forum.flatpress.org
Max number of entries?
  • Feeling really comfortable with this script so I'm thinking of using it for yearly updates on the saynotogmos.org site starting in 2011. I've been doing it the old fashioned way for eight years and ready for a change! Here's what the current page looks like: http://www.saynotogmos.org/ud2010/updates2010.html By the end of the year, there will probably be about 150 substantial entries. Can Flatpress handle that size load or will it go into collapse? I'd be turning comments off and will do a separate installation for each of the coming years. This is assuming, of course, that we can find and fix the glitch that's generating "\" on apostrophes in the "Last 10 entries" data. ;)
  • I want to add that the site gets a fair amount of traffic - about 8,000 -10,000 unique visitors a month. What are the chances of that amount of traffic breaking something in the DB?
  • I'll be honest and say I don't know. Since the critical point is really the main index which is modified only when editing a post, I'd say it's theoretically low. If you happen to see that something is breaking often, I'd go for a solution backed by a real DBMS, which is designed for high concurrency :)
  • @golinux "... there will probably be about 150 substantial entries ..." One of my personal blogs have more than 280 entries, but not 10.000 unique visitors. If I made a full text search the results are displayed within seconds. So I think, Flatpress can handle many entries, but I don't know what happen by 10.000 unique visitors.
  • Encouraging that you have that many entries working OK. But some of these entries will be quite big - possibly up to 2500-3000 words and for some reason the size alone scares me a bit. Once they are entered, there won't be any further tweaking. I'll probably format the additional html before entering the posts to cut down on possible glitches coming from resaving the file.
  • This blog mentioned above is a technical knowledge base with code samples, quotes, screenshots and howto lists. One of the biggest article about network diagnostics have 513 words with 3994 characters. Ok, that are not the dimension you calculate to use. But I think, Flatpress can do it, if your server is fast and you have no memory limitation like me with 40MB.
  • you would get a big boost if you could cache the HTML of your pages; FP is theoretically capable of that (through $smarty->caching = true), but I've found a nasty bug with {widgets} which breaks Smarty caching and of which I was not able to track completely the cause down for now.
  • you would get a big boost if you could cache the HTML of your pages; FP is theoretically capable of that (through $smarty->caching = true), but I've found a nasty bug with {widgets} which breaks Smarty caching and of which I was not able to track completely the cause down for now.

Maybe with Smarty 3 there won't be the bug.
  • Smarty 3 is a major architecture upgrade, which is probably mostly backward-incompatible; I'm not going to deal with such a hassle, at the moment; I'd rather track down the reason of the misbehavior, which probably lies somewhere in core.widgets.php; moreover Smarty 3 is PHP5-only.
  • Well, I've got an SVN version skinned and ready to go for the 2011 updates on the Say No To GMOs! site. I guess I'll find out in a few months whether it can handle the load. http://www.saynotogmos.org/ud2011/ If you see any inconsistencies between the blog and the main site (font-size, margins, padding etc.) please let me know. Or, heaven forbid, if it falls apart in IE or whatever else is out there. Thanks
  • This discussion has been closed.
    All Discussions
    Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion