ℹ️
Welcome to the archive of the old FlatPress support forum. Browse more than a decade of FlatPress wisdom! Login is disabled.

The current FlatPress support forum is available here: forum.flatpress.org
New versions and the future
  • By seeing the CVS it seems that FP haad been in a frozen state for a while now.Any plans on working on it again or should we move to another platform? I had one of the biggest FP powered sites(with over 180 posts)until recently that my host died ,taking it along with it...l;(
  • Embrance said: By seeing the CVS

I guess you mean SVN ?
    Embrance said: .Any plans on working on it again or should we move to another platform?

Well, I've actually released a hotfix two days ago ;) I do admit I've been quite a lot busy with the thesis for my CS master degree (which, alas, this time does not have to do with FlatPress), and, you know, my life :P It's not lack of interest, it's mostly lack of spare time to spend on it. If you feel like you should leave FP for something else, anyway, there are many alternatives, even though I still believe FlatPress is quite unique for many reasons (good and bad :P) I, for one, feel that FlatPress could be further improved in some fields, but I do believe that it is already quite nice for what it is; many functionalities can be added by mean of plugins, without needing for the core to be changed (even though a rewrite from scratch wouldn't probably hurt), from which follows the lack of frequent commits on the Subversion repository. I've been thinking for a while about opening a paid support service, for users needing special help or who would like to pay for the development of a particular plugin they might want, or who might want a unique theme to be designed for them. But I don't know if people would be interested in such a thing, and I'm not sure I'd like to make a job out of this hobby (not that I really believe I could make much money out of it...)
  • Yep,I meant SVN:/ for one,yes FP doesquite well what it is supposed to do. But I belive some main features lack: Better mod_rwrite in urls.I mean we need more control over how to display the URLS. pos/id or posts/name? etc then multiple user.AND user levels with permissions.This would be that hard i guess. One or two ready packged in the main reporsity of FP,WYSIWYG editors. And now what i think would be VERY good addition: support various framework of PHOP,like Zend or Cake through plygins.Then we can use the various specifics of them to make some neat plygins in half the time. another suggestion:make FP community based.all users who can contribute to the code base,do so.If someone codes a multiusers ibtreface,then include it as is,or make it a bit better if you want,and put it along with next version.
  • @embrance ... URL control ... multiple users ... WYSIWIG ... If you need this, you can use Wordpress. All of this things are included and many people work on the core. But Flatpress is small, clean and easy. No database is needed and it isn't oversized as some other Blogsystems. It is a free time project and useable for many hobby blogger :D
  • I'll throw in some thoughts as well :) Yes like laborix says Flatpress is great just because it is small, clean and easy. And also because it's so easy to customize without tweaking the core too. For me, Flatpress feels like it's at a 1.0 mark really, as it's a stable platform you can trust. (I have never experienced any bad troubles with FP, and have it on a handful sites, some with a lot of special features that still have the original look of the site thanks to the core and smarty theme concept.) And for Wordpress, been there, tried that, and got so much troubles I reverted back to FP very fast. Flatpress rocks! :) The only thing that lacks IMHO is a (simple) multi-user functionality. F.ex. that there could be a handful users who could only edit their own posts and not others, nor static pages. And maybe some time upgrades of smarty and other scripts to some newer versions. But really, nothing of this needs to be pushed. Just thoughts for future spare time as there no need to push out new features just because there's a need to make new versions, which it really isn't all the time. Oh logic :)
  • Embrance said: Better mod_rwrite in urls.I mean we need more control over how to display the URLS.
    pos/id or posts/name? etc

Hi, this is difficult because for example as I remember wordpress uses a table to do it, in flatpress you have to build a cache.
    Embrance said: One or two ready packged in the main reporsity of FP,WYSIWYG editors.

There are some plugins. However HTML written by WYSIWYG editors isn't always so good (for example use TinyMCE with pre and cry).
    Embrance said: specifics of them to make some neat plygins in half the time

• Flatpress uses the Wordpress Hook System and so its standards. However there aren't plugin that can be ported to Flatpress just with copy-and-paste. This because Flatpress is Flatpress and it isn't Wordpress or CakePHP or Joomla or what you want.
    laborix said: If you need this, you can use Wordpress. All of this things are included and many people work on the core.

But Flatpress is small, clean and easy. No database is needed and it isn't oversized as some other Blogsystems. It is a free time project and useable for many hobby blogger :D

Definitely.
    macmathan said: And maybe some time upgrades of smarty and other scripts to some newer versions.

I think that NoWhereMan should upgrade smarty to the last stable of 2.x series... However Flatpress has also a community so users should help him. For example I ported the widget admin panel to jQuery and NoWhereMan added it to the official pack. However now Flatpress has its own standards: if you change the Authentication System to have more users and an ACL, a lot of plugins have to be updated.
    This discussion has been closed.
    All Discussions
    Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

In this Discussion