ℹ️
Welcome to the archive of the old FlatPress support forum. Browse more than a decade of FlatPress wisdom! Login is disabled.

The current FlatPress support forum is available here: forum.flatpress.org
Search Function
  • The search function only searches indexed entries, not comments, statics or attachs. Visitors to a site don't distinguish between the various types of content, but just want to find whatever it is they are looking for. How can search be configured to perform a more thorough search, at least as a user selectable option? Also, the search widget appears to do a default search by title. Entry titles are pretty cryptic. Have people found this feature useful? Also, can the widget be configured for full text search?
  • the default is title only because full-text is slow; it is performed by doing a string search in every file. There is no full-text index. Titles are cached in the main entry index, so it's a bit more quick. I myself consider site search "deprecated", and I suggest to rely on google with site:example.com/flatpress/ my keyword
  • NoWhereMan said: the default is title only because full-text is slow; it is performed by doing a string search in every file. There is no full-text index. Titles are cached in the main entry index, so it's a bit more quick.

That makes sense. So the search widget isn't terribly useful only searching through titles? Calling search.php allows a full text search that *is* useful (though slow). Though it still doesn't search comments, statics or attachs. It might be nice to have this as an option. It also would be nice to configure the widget to do a full search on sites where title searches are deemed useless.
    NoWhereMan said: I myself consider site search "deprecated", and I suggest to rely on google with

Let google do the work :-) Is there a convenient way to modify the widget to do this instead? This approach makes sense for public sites, but not secure sites. For private information, having Flatpress search still makes sense.
  • oonet said: Is there a convenient way to modify the widget to do this instead?

I see why my attempts weren't working. It's fine now :-) Google updates once a month. I've tried a couple of methods for getting it to update sooner, but it hasn't worked. Have you been able to update Google more frequently than once a month, or is once a month not a problem for you?
  • This discussion has been closed.
    All Discussions
    Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

In this Discussion