ℹ️
Welcome to the archive of the old FlatPress support forum. Browse more than a decade of FlatPress wisdom! Login is disabled.

The current FlatPress support forum is available here: forum.flatpress.org
three columns theme
  • Prompt please where it is possible download a theme with three columns? It is very necessary!!!
  • Dark by Tychondriax has three columns AFAIK; it's on the wiki
  • I'm working on adapting Snood to a 3 column I find more in line with my preferences, you can see my version which I'm still working on, at http://paranormalcy.zanysite.com/flatpress
  • Snoods IS a 3-column theme... It's something like entries | col1(left) | col2(right)... col1 is widgetpos=left, and col2 is widgetpos=right! Check out my site and see...
  • What I am trying to find is some way to get a layout that looks like this, or rather, uses this basic structure: header leftcol (menu) - blog body content - rightcol (menu 2) footer Something that looks somewhat like a "normal" website rather than a blog. Example: http://www.zanysite.com/tabletoprpgfun/rpgprescoll-1.html Don't look at the html for that page, it has unecessary coding that I just haven't gotten rid of, that makes the header stripe and such not meet up with the left column. It's the overall compartmentalization that I'm looking for.
  • Leggero should be modded to allow this, btw, here's how widgets.tpl
    {widgets pos=right}

{$subject}

{$content}
    {/widgets}
    {widgets pos=left}

{$subject}

{$content}
    {/widgets}
    now res/column.css /* =================== Leggero CSS Styles =================== Ispired by: http://pluxml.org theme default ------------------- Name: Leggero Author: NoWhereMan & drudo Version: 0.1 Module: style.css */ /* ===== COLUMN ===== */ .column { width: 195px !important; width: 180px; font-size: 80% !important; font-size: 75%; height:1%; margin-bottom: 5px; padding: 10px; border-left: solid 1px #ccc } .column h4 { /* Titles of the sections */ margin-bottom: .5em; } .column p, .column div { margin: 10px 5px } .column a:link, .column a:visited { color: gray } /* === List === */ .column ul li table { font-size: 100% } .column ul { list-style-type: none; margin-right: 10px; margin-bottom: .5em; padding-left: 1em } .column fieldset { margin: 0 5px 0 5px } .column legend { font-size: 100% } then you can play around a little with #col-left, #col-right and #main, search css floats and columns on google for further tips bye
  • You can modify Snoods to make what are you asking for... It's a little tricky, but you can do it... You must edit index.tpl by adding
    {widgets pos=left}

{$subject}

{$content} {/widgets}
    before and after the maincontent div (remember, before maincontent it should be colleft and after maincontent colright) and deleting {include file=widgets.tpl} and then edit the css by modifying the width of #maincontent (50% it should work) and the one of #column (20% is ok). Finally remember to comment the line width in #colright, #colleft and you're done!!!
  • I'm not sure I've understood, but you can't use the same id twice (id="column") that's why in the code above I've made the id a class bye
  • I've tried it and it works... But surely you know the rules better than me (sigh!)... So follow what NWM said!
  • ID is short for identifier and therefore must be unique (primary key, anyone? XD XD it's prof. Castano, and her dark shadow) I know that it works, but it's wrong, it works for the same reason for which you can mix html4 and xhtml and still seeing the page (almost) working: because you're browser is smart; but it's better you don't, it pollutes the DOM tree of the page, so some javascript might start not to work anymore and such... and btw it breaks validation bye
  • it breaks validation

Those are the rules I meant!
  • I am between being a php hack and a genius DOM/SEO whatever like you guys are, so while I can tell those changes did *something*, I'm not sure how to take advantage of it to get the page to look like I want, so I'll go check out the "how to make a theme" stuff. Thanks for the reply!
  • you'll better check a CSS manual, actually bye
  • I have been editing a theme by copying an original one (I think Flatmaas2) but the body text displays all the bbcode as text instead of turning it into formatted text, any idea what happened or how to fix it? Thanks.
  • jpneok, do you have enabled bbcode plugin in your plugin panel?
  • he probably has bbcode enabled; how old is that theme? is it compatible with the latest version?
  • Yes BBCODE is enabled in my panel, I am pretty sure I got this theme off the flatpress theme page, so it shouldn't be outdated, but even if it is, why would that cause the bbcode plugin to not work?
  • because old themes worked in a different way and expected text from the system to be already parsed, while now they have to explicitly call the function; please try another theme: is the bundled one working? do you have this issue in any part of the blog? or maybe only with static pages?
  • I couldn't figure out how to modify the Leggero theme - the examples NWM gave broke the template and put another column below the other two, I still think CSS has a way to go before its suitable to be the SOLE structure framework across all platforms. But I did have some success by updating the Flatmaas2 theme to have a column on each side, though I can't seem to put a background color to the left and right columns and I can't get the UL LI "dots" on the left side to get inside the layout. http://drama.zanysite.com/flatpress/ I still have to say Flatpress is one of the most impressive flatfile script packages I've ever downloaded! =)
  • the examples NWM gave broke the template and put another column below the other two

that was because it was empty
    I can't get the UL LI "dots" on the left side to get inside the layout.

list-style-type:none ?
  • Posted By: NoWhereManLeggero should be modded to allow this, btw, here's how widgets.tpl
    {widgets pos=right}

{$subject}

{$content}
    {/widgets}
    {widgets pos=left}

{$subject}

{$content}
    {/widgets}
    now res/column.css /* =================== Leggero CSS Styles =================== Ispired by: http://pluxml.org theme default ------------------- Name: Leggero Author: NoWhereMan & drudo Version: 0.1 Module: style.css */ /* ===== COLUMN ===== */ .column { width: 195px !important; width: 180px; font-size: 80% !important; font-size: 75%; height:1%; margin-bottom: 5px; padding: 10px; border-left: solid 1px #ccc } .column h4 { /* Titles of the sections */ margin-bottom: .5em; } .column p, .column div { margin: 10px 5px } .column a:link, .column a:visited { color: gray } /* === List === */ .column ul li table { font-size: 100% } .column ul { list-style-type: none; margin-right: 10px; margin-bottom: .5em; padding-left: 1em } .column fieldset { margin: 0 5px 0 5px } .column legend { font-size: 100% } then you can play around a little with #col-left, #col-right and #main, search css floats and columns on google for further tips bye

Good morning FP´ers, short question: Can leggero still be modified that way ? I think we can give FP some more public and users if there would be a bigger pool of available themes... (what could probably be done by me). Another question: Is there a possibility to create themes by using dreamweaver ? (Background: i created a lot aof themes for a cms called cmsimple (www.cmsimple.org), and here everything could be done the wysiwyg-way ;)) - And have a look at www.dotcomwebdesign.com for the numbers of available themes !! Last question: Anyone here interested in creating themes (me the layout and the graphical part, you the css and the tpl´s ?)
  • short question: Can leggero still be modified that way ?

probably
    I think we can give FP some more public and users if there would be a bigger pool of available themes...

maybe; there aren't many, but some are also on the wiki; did you have a look? some allow multiple styles as well
    Another question: Is there a possibility to create themes by using dreamweaver ?

with FP you basically first design a static HTML + CSS with your design, then you just break into pieces the html in as many .tpl as required (for comments, index, single post if you want, static, etc) and eventually link them through {include file=...} (e.g. index.tpl : {include file=header.tpl}) and add the special FP tags (such as {entry}); you can find most of them in leggero
    Last question: Anyone here interested in creating themes (me the layout and the graphical part, you the css and the tpl´s ?)

so basically you're asking "is anyone interested in doing the boring part for me?" :D j/k ;)
  • maybe; there aren't many, but some are also on the wiki; did you have a look? some allow multiple styles as well

Yes, i downloaded and tried nearly all, but most of them are... hmm... let me call it "outdated"... Many produce layout-errors etc., i think they are based on older revisions of FP. Unfortunatelly some of the producers are working on other platforms than FP, so they won´t do workarounds on their themes any more..
    with FP you basically first design a static HTML + CSS with your design, then you just break into pieces the html in as many .tpl as required (for comments, index, single post if you want, static, etc) and eventually link them through {include file=...} (e.g. index.tpl : {include file=header.tpl}) and add the special FP tags (such as {entry}); you can find most of them in leggero

Ok, that gives me at least a little impression on how to make new themes... I will see, what i can do... My general problem is, that i have to think about theme-producing in a new way, because i can´t see the result in my editor directly. Cutting a layout in several parts to load them on different places of a site seems to be a little bit tricky, that i have to learn from an existing theme.
    so basically you're asking "is anyone interested in doing the boring part for me?" :D

basically i asked: Is any coder here, who is so near to fp-coding, that we can build up a theme-base quicker than i could alone... I really like working with and for a community - so why not asking the community to work on a project together - everybody with the things he is best in (and at the moment, that is definatelly not coding for my person). If nobody is interested - no matter, i´ll learn the missing parts... Hope, nobody understands me wrong - i´m not the type of man, who is coming into a community, telling them what is wrong or bad... I just thought, i could do something for FP and the community...
    j/k ;)

??
  • "just kidding" ;)
  • ok kidding man, i began to learn about "template-engeneering" this evening... first results look good in my eyes... maybe i need you, when moving or duplicating sidebars - but i think the rest can be done by myself...
  • This discussion has been closed.
    All Discussions
    Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

In this Discussion