ℹ️
Welcome to the archive of the old FlatPress support forum. Browse more than a decade of FlatPress wisdom! Login is disabled.

The current FlatPress support forum is available here: forum.flatpress.org
Capabilities
  • Greetings folks, I'm a newbie searching for the perfect blog/cms and I keep coming back to Flatpress. I love its ease of use and its look. By the way, I really love NoWhereMan's Blog too. Beautiful work. I think I want it to behave a little more like a CMS. I 'm looking for... • Date/time editor or news- To allow Admin to set the date or time of a post at anytime. • Edit news views to simply headlines or limit the number of news shown on a page. [News as cool as Cutenews RU or even the Winged Info News Script] • Different themes for different pages [very close to what you've done] • WordPress Plug-in Wrapper to use some of the myriad plug-ins that WordPress offers. Are these things possible or am I just crazy? Thanks. homershines
  • Posted By: homershines• Date/time editor or news- To allow Admin to set the date or time of a post at anytime.

see the plugin on the wiki
    Posted By: homershines• Edit news views to simply headlines or limit the number of news shown on a page.

you can edit your template for that...
    Posted By: homershines• Different themes for different pages [very close to what you've done]

well, you can choose different CSS's using a selector. You can even write a theme switching plugin, but I'd say it'd be overkill
Posted By: homershines• WordPress Plug-in Wrapper to use some of the myriad plug-ins that WordPress offers.

FP natively shares with WP the same plugin engine, it is borrowed from their source code itself (it is GPL'd, as FP is, so it's legal, not a rip-off ;) ), but there are technical reason for most of their plugins not to work (faq)
  • Thanks. I'll try those ideas out. I'm sure I'm missing some basic things. I'm sure that after a little study and work, I can ask better, more defined questions. But, I have to admit that the interface of FlatPress is so comforting, that it makes us newbies, hungry, maybe even greedy for more. Peace. homershines
  • Posted By: homershinesBut, I have to admit that the interface of FlatPress is so comforting, that it makes us newbies, hungry, maybe even greedy for more.

well that's very nice to hear :) bye
  • Yes. It's true. I've tried quite a few flatfile CMS/Blogs and I come back to FlatPress. It's not perfect, but you can get started and create something tangible and useful rather quickly. It, like quite a few other flatfile CMS/Blogs are just a few features away from being perfect for all of my foreseeable needs. Lately. I've been building pages with straight HTML and php scripts for added features like news, galleries, guestbooks and such. Right now, I am trying to find the answer to whether I should use a CuteNews RU & Singapore Gallery inside of or as an external page a flatfile CMS/Blog, if I don't particularly like the built-in news/blog or gallery features of the flatfile CMS/Blog. If I choose that route in FlatPress, can I make it work comfortably? Is anybody else doing that as well? Peace. homershines
  • I'm afraid I can't answer any above questions, but I'd like to first say I'm very impressed with the new version of Flatpress, it has added and streamlined an awful lot of stuff, and I like the comment editing - not super involved and sophisticated, but it's there. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I've asked this previously in another thread - I thought it was in a "Suggestions/Requests" thread for features users suggested but can't find any such thing now - but I still have trouble with needing pagination of some kind, as exemplified by this link: http://pwse.zanysite.com/ (Sunday, November 15, 2009 - Straddle - The first female wrestling simulator!). I tend to write a LOT when I make posts, and this is my primary problem with Flatpress, is no ability to break up my Wall-of-Text posts into numerous pages, or at the absolute very least, to break it up into a "teaser" or "summary box" that can appear on the front page with a "Read More" or some kind of link to the full post, without devastating the front page with my verbose articles. Is there a plug-in or any sort of hack or workaround that would allow this? I guess I need to just make shorter posts and break them up into multiple ones instead of one long one, until/unless I can find some handy way to do this. Anyway, great work on FP, thank you for your continued work on this and for keeping it free for use as a resource for people who are interested in lighter frameworks like this and those who don't have the money or who want to check out a platform before deciding to go with it, for their blog or site, etc.
  • Posted By: jpneokI'm afraid I can't answer any above questions, but I'd like to first say I'm very impressed with the new version of Flatpress, it has added and streamlined an awful lot of stuff, and I like the comment editing - not super involved and sophisticated, but it's there.

thank you :)
    I tend to write a LOT when I make posts, and this is my primary problem with Flatpress, is no ability to break up my Wall-of-Text posts into numerous pages, or at the absolute very least, to break it up into a "teaser" or "summary box" that can appear on the front page with a "Read More" or some kind of link to the full post, without devastating the front page with my verbose articles. Is there a plug-in or any sort of hack or workaround that would allow this? I guess I need to just make shorter posts and break them up into multiple ones instead of one long one, until/unless I can find some handy way to do this.

There is a ReadMore plugin, which ships with the release. You can split your posts into a teaser by simply putting a [more] tag wherever in your post. IIRC it is even advertised in the example post of a clean install ;) You might want to try and customize it somehow to add pagination capabilities
  • How strange, I looked all over and through everything and never came across it. I must have some sort of strange "feature blindness" where I can't see what I'm looking for. let me check while I'm on here... Well paint me pink and call me Petunia! I even remember using it the LAST time I posted here about this same thing, so it's been in there a long time and hasn't changed any. I SWEAR I tried it when I made a post and it just got echoed to the screen like text instead of code - either way, there it is, big as Dallas, like it has been, and once again, I will need to check my glasses prescription. Sorry for the redundancy but thank you for the speedy response all the same, and best of luck with your work!
  • This discussion has been closed.
    All Discussions
    Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

In this Discussion