ℹ️
Welcome to the archive of the old FlatPress support forum. Browse more than a decade of FlatPress wisdom! Login is disabled.

The current FlatPress support forum is available here: forum.flatpress.org
A word about SEO for humans ...
  • ... not meaning to optimize for search engines but for the humans who use them. One of the most important things on a website are the TITLE Tag and the first headline. Many users jump in the middle of webpages, because those are linked from the search resultes according to the question they typed in. The first 60 or so characters of the TITLE tag of a webpage is the thing seen in the search engine results, and it should be as descriptive as possible ang give a short tagline, what this special page is about. When using Flatpress, there is always the constant text, showing the general title/headline first, wasting space for repetetive and non informative information. The second thought: Should the constant Blog header be a H1? Does it offer real vital information? OK, it shows for example "QuHnos blog...", fine - but is this real information? I don't think so. The size of this IMHO pure presentational "headline" can be altered by CSS, and it can be semantically reduced to a normal paragraph or division. Nobody is really interested in the site name or title, and everybody is annoyed with ad banners, so everybody just skips everything that in the least looks like banners by size, different colors etc. pp. - including the top graphics of our blogs. No, I don't say they are totally useless, they provide a common interface to the reader that shows, that she or he has not left our site when clicking on a link. So, why not change the (default) templates in a way, that the title of the entry - or the category, if in category view - becomes more prominent? That is the start my content, the rest is just chrome...
  • When using Flatpress, there is always the constant text, showing the general title/headline first, wasting space for repetetive and non informative information.

yes, that should probably be switched (post title - site name). I've done it in SVN, most sites work like that anyway. You can disable that completely by editing your template
    Posted By: QuHnohould the constant Blog header be a H1? Does it offer real vital information? OK, it shows for example "QuHnos blog...", fine - but is this real information? I don't think so. The size of this IMHO pure presentational "headline" can be altered by CSS, and it can be semantically reduced to a normal paragraph or division. Nobody is really interested in the site name or title, and everybody is annoyed with ad banners, so everybody just skips everything that in the least looks like banners by size, different colors etc. pp. - including the top graphics of our blogs. No, I don't say they are totally useless, they provide a common interface to the reader that shows, that she or he has not left our site when clicking on a link. So, why not change the (default) templates in a way, that the title of the entry - or the category, if in category view - becomes more prominent?Thatis the start mycontent, the rest is just chrome...

There has been a long standing debate about blog markup[1] which finally led me to leave things as they are for several reasons:
    • there is not really a "best practice" (there are opinions about better practices),
    • changing the way FP displays titles would make creating templates clunkier and a little-less understandable,
    • I AM lazy ;)
    Moreover, when thinking about such changes I always wonder what real benefit the user would gain. How would choosing a different markup for the blog title really impact the user experience? You are basically suggesting to either
    1. change the markup so that everything looks the same, but use H1 tags instead
    2. make the main header display the title of a post when in permalink or category view
    Now, let's start from (a) Hosted by imgur.com In this case you can't tell the H1 version apart from the current version. Is this giving you any better clue about what is content? You might tell me that your suggestion makes better for screenreaders; but AFAIK they just read the screen as it is, they aren't going to tell you "MAIN TITLE" or such. What would make life easier for a screenreader is putting a little "skip to content" link at the very top of the page: the change is really trivial, but in my opinion adding such noise to skip just two lines is not worth it [2]. (follows -- character limit)
  • About (b) : Hosted by imgur.com I first saw that on a WordPress blog with the Kubrick them. I didn't like it. While (maybe) conceptually right it is visually inconsistent with the rest of the site, where that particular area is destined to show the title of the blog: why does it change all of a sudden to the title of a post? Once you are accustomed to ignore that area because it adds no value, since you already know you are browsing that site (do you? aren't you switching through several browser tabs? then that area might be of value!) you get to a post and you get no title! Not really, the post title is now showing up in the header! what?? Of course the styling of that particular element is probably partially to be blamed for this reaction, but still, how would it look like? What would you suggest? An entirely new styling for single posts? (You can have that, adding a single.tpl to your theme and adding the directive $theme['hassingle'] = true; in your theme.conf.php); AND for categories? (you can have that, through CSS and and global category plugin, here on this forum). These are all nice solutions, but, again, they would all make reading and understanding the default template (which is meant also as an example, since there isn't an updated and detailed guide on theming and styled) very complicated! If you have time to spend with drawing a showing mockups, then post them! But at the moment I think there are so many concerns and so little benefits it is not worth the effort. This isn't the first time on FP I sacrifice technical arguments on behalf of ease of use and simplicity: compare this discussion about XHTML compliance. Thanks for your suggestions, though! bye --- [1] Compare: this article which makes your (valid) point with this comment on the same article, which makes a perfectly fine point as well. [2] On the other hand, I do have such a link on my personal blog, because of the horizontal nav-bar, which leggero however misses.
  • Posted By: NoWhereManyes, that should probably be switched (post title - site name). I've done it in SVN, most sites work like that anyway.

Thank You! Hope it makes it into a stable version :)
    You are basically suggesting to either
    1. change the markup so that everything looks the same, but use H1 tags instead
    2. make the main header display the title of a post when in permalink or category view

Yes to a, no to b. The look should not be changed because that is, what a user expects to see on a site. Because 90%+ of all site use the same scheme I think that the average user thinks: "OK, there is a visible header, I know it and so it is the correct site - let's skip it and go to the content" So, in my opinion, the visible header is just presentational and should be handled like that, but never by changing the look, because that would break the user's experience. On the other side, the h3 for the entry headings is a vital piece of information and should be changed to a h1. I am speaking of semantic HTML, not of the presentation. XHTML is for structure, CSS is for th looks. BTW: Those thoughts were just my 50ct because I had my monthly dose of useit.com yesterday - no need to worry ;)
  • So, in my opinion, the visible header is just presentational and should be handled like that, but never by changing the look, because that would break the user's experience.

point on which we then agree
    On the other side, the h3 for the entry headings is a vital piece of information and should be changed to a h1. I am speaking of semantic HTML, not of the presentation. XHTML is for structure, CSS is for th looks.

I am well aware of who Jakob Nielsen is ;) (I had to study about him and and his 10 heuristic points for an exam!), and I know what "semantic" HTML is; you see that in FP content, markup and style presentation are independent, and, where applicable, items are marked up as they should (heck, FP even forces people to some "good" practices, such as avoiding target=_blank) What I am arguing about is that there isn't a widely accepted guideline on this particular topic, some people believe H1 is the title of the book, while others think it is the title of a chapter. See for instance this discussion on Diodati.org (ita). Diodati is our local usability/accessiblity guru. Even his site uses H1 for the main title ;) (see an article from his blog If you really think H1 should be for content, and not for the heading, I'd suggest to just drop the heading banner altogether and add another element to get back to the home page: then you could use H1 for the title of a post; but then your blog wouldn't really look like a blog anymore. Since there is not a real (and therefore one correct) way to discriminate between the two (while, (LA)TEX is a language where you have titles, chapters, sections) I believe the current situation can be considered ok :) bye
  • I'm using h1 for the flatpress title, h2 for entry and h3 as sub heading in the enrty. Doing so, I think, that I do enough for SEO. Ok, a description of what I'm find in the blog entry would be really nice, but it isn't important for the blog by writing sematic content.
  • Posted By: NoWhereManSee for instancethis discussion on Diodati.org (ita).

If I got that right (my Italian is nearly non existent I used Latin for reference):
    Avere pi
  • This discussion has been closed.
    All Discussions
    Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

In this Discussion