Import from SimplePHPBlog possible (without programming) ?

This is the right place to report general bugs, make suggestions or ask for help.
Peter

Import from SimplePHPBlog possible (without programming) ?

Post by Peter » Wed May 06, 2020 10:19 pm

I'm running SimplePHPBlog for many years, but meanwhile it's almost broken (only partly working).
A migration from my used older SimplePHPBlog version to the current one (which is also not maintained since years) is not possible.
I've read an old entry in the archived form here, that someone already asked for this years ago.

Is it possible to import the text files and pictures I used in my SimplePHPBlog installation without writing a complete new program ?

If not, are there any "simple" import file formats I may try to import (so I need a description what file structure they must have) ?

And last but not least, is there any further description available how to "import" data to the blog (without entering all former entries of my blog again) ?

Arvid
FlatPress Coder

Re: Import from SimplePHPBlog possible (without programming) ?

Post by Arvid » Sun May 10, 2020 11:27 am

Peter, welcome to FlatPress!

We used to have a script in our old wiki which seems to do just what you want. I restored the page into our new wiki, please see if that works for you: https://wiki.flatpress.org/res:tools:spbimporter
Important note: I never tried this script for myself, and didn't ever run or migrate any SPB instance. I strongly recommend to try this with a copy of your SPB blog, so you don't jeopardize the original. The data structure of FlatPress hasn't changed in ages, so on FP side, the import script has a very high chance to still work correctly.

Mike created a Blosxom to FlatPress importer lately, maybe he likes to help out. Also, see our discussion about the FlatPress data format in the mentioned forum thread. If you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask!

If the import script works fine out of the box (or after adjustments), we could add it to our flatpress-extras repository, so everybody could use it.

All the best,
Arvid

Peter

Post by Peter » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:43 am

Very late response from me, but in that year I wrote this, many things happened which prevented me from trying this.
Later on I forgot this again until the security problems with SimplePHPBlog reminded me to try this as soon as I have time for it.
I've seen https://wiki.flatpress.org/res:tools:spbimporter:spb-db which I can confirm. Does a similar simple schema exists for Flatpress as well, and if so, is there a blog / forum entry for it ?
Well, I made a backup from the blog files again since my last visit, so I will try to run the https://wiki.flatpress.org/res:tools:spbimporter ... will report the results. And no, I didn't used any static file nor any gzipped files, so I am confident, if the import will not run, I might be able to write my own conversion tool, if I am able to understand the Flatpress files structure, too.

Peter

Post by Peter » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:36 am

Tried it meanwhile, it doesn't worked.

But I've taken the script from https://blog.flo.cx/mycontent/sphp2mt.py.txt and just replaced the "has_key()" with "get()" to run it with Python 3.
That worked smoothless.

Arvid
FlatPress Coder

Post by Arvid » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:46 am

Peter,

thanks for getting back on this topic. Would you, by chance, like to write a little step-by-step how-to on the wiki on how you achieved the import?

All the best,
Arvid