Comments

This is the right place to report general bugs, make suggestions or ask for help.
dart

Comments

Post by dart » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:51 pm

Is there a plug to have comments show like 'last entries' on the front right of main page instead of having to check emails for them ?

NorfolkGreg

Re: Comments

Post by NorfolkGreg » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:27 am

Yes!
"LastComments" and "LastComments Admin" are among the Standard Plugins, but both are disabled by default.

dart

Post by dart » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:10 pm

I had enabled them both from first install...
It is in a block for section on the right.
I see last entries & archive but no last comments.
if a comment is added, I just get an email.

NorfolkGreg

Post by NorfolkGreg » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:43 am

I'm still very new to FlatPress and have had similar issues.

When sorting out some of these I have found that the visibility of widgets and rendering of some plugins is dependent on the Theme selected.

Try a few different themes and see if it works with some of them.

I plan to start adding some of my findings to the Wiki but as I won't be testing everything to the same standard I worry that that I might appear to be biassed against some user contributions and that certainly isn't ideal!

Report back here if you don't want to get involved with Wiki editing.

Arvid
FlatPress Coder

Post by Arvid » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:36 am

Everything visible on your blog depends on the theme you use ;)
Be aware some themes might not support widgets, others may require the use of certain plugins to look proper. It always depends on the targets (and FlatPress knowledge) of the plugin's author.

Adding knowledge to the wiki is always a good thing! I always take care that my wiki contributions (e.g. how-tos) are written as general as possible, so that most users are able to follow it (regardless of the theme or plugins they are using).

dart

Post by dart » Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:38 pm

what I was hoping for with leggeroV2 was to see the 'new comments link' posted on the main page like 'last entries' - instead of getting email. This is useful when you have many pages and have to shift through many of them. It is also beneficial for visitors to see the new comments links visible.

Arvid
FlatPress Coder

Post by Arvid » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:44 am

Hi,

ah, thanks for clarifying. The Last Comments plugin indeed is what you are looking for. Once activated, it provides a widget which displays the last 8 (iirc) comments. You may need to refresh the comments cache with the Last Comments Admin plugin at the first run.

All the best,
Arvid

NorfolkGreg

Post by NorfolkGreg » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:02 pm

Hi Arvid,
Arvid wrote: ↑Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:36 am Everything visible on your blog depends on the theme you use ;)
Be aware some themes might not support widgets, others may require the use of certain plugins to look proper. It always depends on the targets (and FlatPress knowledge) of the plugin's author.

Adding knowledge to the wiki is always a good thing! I always take care that my wiki contributions (e.g. how-tos) are written as general as possible, so that most users are able to follow it (regardless of the theme or plugins they are using).
I have been slowly coming to realise this in the months I have been exploring FlatPress without yet committing to it.

I've made a few updates to the Wiki but have been reluctant to begin what I think ought to become standard practice on the FlatPress Wiki when documenting Plugins and Widgets. Each page should include a section listing known compatibilities and incompatibilities.

Why reluctant? Well, my explorations have been very limited so and my first post is likely to be about PhotoSwipe and if I appeared rather critical, the last person I would wish to offend would be you!

I love the idea of PhotoSwipe but, apart from the fact that it rolls all images displayed on a page into a single gallery, it doesn't work with the the standard Leggero theme. As a minimum I feel that all Plugins and Widgets should include a "Theme" section that should include a statement confirming whether it works with Leggero or not and lists any themes with which it is known to be compatible.

(By chance, because I was exploring all themes listed as "responsive" I discovered it did work with "FlatMistyLook" but I have some issues with that theme and am still trying to get my head around "Smarty" before I attempt my own version of it.)