Some suggestions

This is the right place to report general bugs, make suggestions or ask for help.
Jiff

Some suggestions

Post by Jiff » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:44 pm

Hi forumers,

Nice weblog - it took me time to find the one meeting my requirements: without a DB + with comment :)

I've some suggestions about it, though :

* You advertise the lack of database, which is very good, but I think the 2nd point (that isn't advertised at all) is as important as the 1st : with comments, as I'm surely not the only one to seek for these specs together and other weblogs do not advertise it either.

* Your .css and .js are supplied native, however, using yui-compressor, I was able to gain a lot of bandwidth.
  i.e. : fp-interface/theme/leggero/Leggero-v2/res/*css are: 27,935 bytes, once all compressed, they are: 19,758 bytes (-29.27% size).
  It might be nothing when you have a fiber or a turbo-satellite of the death that kills with gazillions of iotobytes/ms, but it is very important when you just have an ASDL2 box with 800 kbit/s upload like I have (I'm living downtown).
Once compressed the whole set of css & js, the overall gain in BW is around 33%.
  So, may be it would be a good idea to supply them in both native and compressed versions (compressed used by default) for people like me.

* The same suggestions applies to the same theme background picture, the native one (fp-interface/themes/leggero/leggero-v2/imgs/back.jpg) is: 123,047 bytes — after a Gimp color mapping reduction to a 8 bits indexed palette and a compression of the resultant jpg @ 70%, you really can't tell the visual difference, but the size now stands @ 60,967 bytes.

This was my 3×2¢.
"For what is against and against what is for" - Pierre Dac.

Lubomír Ludvík

Re: Some suggestions

Post by Lubomír Ludvík » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:54 am

Good idea, I didn't know yuicompressor

Code: Select all

yuicompressor-2.4.8.jar admin.css -o admin_c.css
download url: https://jar-download.com/artifacts/com. ... ssor/2.4.8

Jiff

Post by Jiff » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:08 pm

Well, at least in Debian Linux it is supplied as a package (thus also in ubuntu, Mint, etc - all Debian children) :

Code: Select all

apt install yui-compressor

Arvid
FlatPress Coder

Post by Arvid » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:32 am

Jiff, thank you very much for your suggestions. I will take a look into compression, this seems very sensible.
About advertising the comments function: Are there even blog engines out there that do not support comments? Seems like a total basic feature to me, am I wrong there?

Jiff

Post by Jiff » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:04 pm

Yes, you're wrong, there are a bunch of blogs that are only like newpapers w/o commenting possible.

Arvid
FlatPress Coder

Post by Arvid » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:12 pm

Thank you very much for pointing out the lack of advertising of the comments function. It is now part of the "Features" paragraph on our home page and the GitHub readme.

All the best,
Arvid