Some suggestions

This is the right place to report general bugs, make suggestions or ask for help.
Jiff

Some suggestions

Post by Jiff » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:44 pm

Hi forumers,

Nice weblog - it took me time to find the one meeting my requirements: without a DB + with comment :)

I've some suggestions about it, though :

* You advertise the lack of database, which is very good, but I think the 2nd point (that isn't advertised at all) is as important as the 1st : with comments, as I'm surely not the only one to seek for these specs together and other weblogs do not advertise it either.

* Your .css and .js are supplied native, however, using yui-compressor, I was able to gain a lot of bandwidth.
  i.e. : fp-interface/theme/leggero/Leggero-v2/res/*css are: 27,935 bytes, once all compressed, they are: 19,758 bytes (-29.27% size).
  It might be nothing when you have a fiber or a turbo-satellite of the death that kills with gazillions of iotobytes/ms, but it is very important when you just have an ASDL2 box with 800 kbit/s upload like I have (I'm living downtown).
Once compressed the whole set of css & js, the overall gain in BW is around 33%.
  So, may be it would be a good idea to supply them in both native and compressed versions (compressed used by default) for people like me.

* The same suggestions applies to the same theme background picture, the native one (fp-interface/themes/leggero/leggero-v2/imgs/back.jpg) is: 123,047 bytes — after a Gimp color mapping reduction to a 8 bits indexed palette and a compression of the resultant jpg @ 70%, you really can't tell the visual difference, but the size now stands @ 60,967 bytes.

This was my 3×2¢.
"For what is against and against what is for" - Pierre Dac.

Lubomír Ludvík

Re: Some suggestions

Post by Lubomír Ludvík » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:54 am

Good idea, I didn't know yuicompressor

Code: Select all

yuicompressor-2.4.8.jar admin.css -o admin_c.css
download url: https://jar-download.com/artifacts/com. ... ssor/2.4.8

Jiff

Post by Jiff » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:08 pm

Well, at least in Debian Linux it is supplied as a package (thus also in ubuntu, Mint, etc - all Debian children) :

Code: Select all

apt install yui-compressor

Arvid
FlatPress Coder

Post by Arvid » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:32 am

Jiff, thank you very much for your suggestions. I will take a look into compression, this seems very sensible.
About advertising the comments function: Are there even blog engines out there that do not support comments? Seems like a total basic feature to me, am I wrong there?

Jiff

Post by Jiff » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:04 pm

Yes, you're wrong, there are a bunch of blogs that are only like newpapers w/o commenting possible.