Notification Of Posts

This is the right place to report general bugs, make suggestions or ask for help.
WineMan

Notification Of Posts

Post by WineMan » Wed May 04, 2022 9:05 pm

Considering this blog system uses flat files, would it be possible to set up a system whereby registered users can be notified of new posts? I'm not that familiar with flat file systems, so the question comes from an unfamiliar spot. Just curious at this point.

Madekozu

Re: Notification Of Posts

Post by Madekozu » Wed May 04, 2022 9:31 pm

The easiest option for your visitors would be to tap into one of the two feeds (Rss2, Atom). Then they get the information directly on their reader.

Alternatively, you could build an email notification (I am not aware of any plugin at the moment), but it has a few hurdles for Europeans in terms of the GDPR.
Bäume spenden Schatten und Kettensägen Licht!

WineMan

Post by WineMan » Wed May 04, 2022 11:31 pm

Do I have to activate the reader for rss because when I click on the RSS in the header, it just downloads a file.

Madekozu

Post by Madekozu » Thu May 05, 2022 2:27 am

Yes, you need a feed reader for this. Many browsers have one by default, but some have removed it again (Firefox...). But there are also browser plugins, Thunderbird can handle RSS and there are also many providers online where you can "collect" RSS. But I find the browser plugins and Thunderbird the most comfortable.

more: -->> https://metager.de/meta/meta.ger3?eingabe=feedreader
Bäume spenden Schatten und Kettensägen Licht!

WineMan

Post by WineMan » Thu May 05, 2022 2:14 pm

Thanks, I will take a look at it. I'm also going to try to figure out how to set up an email notification although my coding experience is pretty low when it comes to php.

bttr

Post by bttr » Thu May 05, 2022 3:50 pm

If you really want mail notification than probably FlatPress is not for you.
I guess, there are is some small forum software, which you can operate as a single person and deny other member to post entries to.
You could probably also create a mailing list to which people can subscribe, but not write to.
Or let them subscribe to a newsletter.

WineMan

Post by WineMan » Thu May 05, 2022 3:55 pm

I've set up a system to let readers subscribe to receive notifications. They would have no access to anything else on the site. I'm trying to research the code needed to send them an email when a new post or comment has been posted. Any ideas on that? Perhaps it is not possible...in which case, I will likely see if something else is out there.

Arvid
FlatPress Coder

Post by Arvid » Thu May 05, 2022 5:33 pm

Hi, my two cents: I do not really understand the reason of inventing the wheel again. RSS is an established and well-documented standard for decades and does exactly what you want: Notifying subscribers about new entries on your website. This support forum has an RSS feed, our wiki has, our project blog as well, almost every news site you visit has it (propably one for each topic). Subscribed to podcasts? That's RSS, too.
There's clients for every platform, it's supereasy to use. And if someone really wishes to "convert" your RSS feed into email notifications, he can easily utilize a service like ITTT.

I for myself use the RSS functions of my Thunderbird email client to subscribe to like 15, 20 feeds.

All the best,
Arvid

WineMan

Post by WineMan » Thu May 05, 2022 7:11 pm

Thanks for your input Arvid...perhaps you're right. I am trying to recreate the wheel.