Export from Flatpress

This is the right place to report general bugs, make suggestions or ask for help.
dart

Export from Flatpress

Post by dart » Tue May 17, 2022 10:56 pm

I would like to export '550 Flatpress posts' to a wordpress install.
Need to use more of the empty area for posts & Flaptpress only provides one cloumn per post.
Searched & found something which I think is from 'Edoardo Vacchi'.
There is this short how to mentioned: "export to WordPress, open phpMyAdmin and import the sql dump."
I did a sql dump once @ a forum site - don't remember why I had to do it but was not to transfer posts.
Does anyone know how to do this ? Thanks in advance

bttr

Re: Export from Flatpress

Post by bttr » Wed May 18, 2022 4:29 pm

I never used WordPress, but here a few links to get you started:
  1. WordPress exporter -- The 2017 version of a script for exporting FP data to WP version 2.8 database structure. You could use it as a starting point for your experiments. You probably need to change the script to match later WP versions.
  2. Database Description Β« WordPress Codex -- "The database structure and the diagram below were last updated in version 4.4."
  3. Beginner's Guide To WordPress Database Schema & Structure - BlogVault

Arvid
FlatPress Coder

Post by Arvid » Wed May 18, 2022 6:33 pm

Hi,
dart wrote: ↑Tue May 17, 2022 10:56 pmFlaptpress only provides one cloumn per post.
Errrrm...am I understanding this right, you'd just like to have your entries in a multi-column layout like this?
If so, this is not a question of the blog engine you use, but of the selected theme ...

I do not know multi-column FlatPress themes, but you can simply enhance your current theme with a little CSS. Just increase the width of your content container to your needs. Then, divide your entries into columns with just two additional lines of CSS for the definition of the entry container of your theme (might be div.entry):
div.entry {
(... all the other definitions ...)
column-width: 300px;
column-gap: 3em;

}
It's as simple as that, no need to invest days of work to build a completely new blog and migrate contents.

(If you want to migrate to WP anyway, you find the export script bttr mentioned in our FlatPress extras repository: https://github.com/flatpressblog/flatpr ... s/wpexport
I never tested it myself; if you use it, please let us know if everything worked fine. Thanks!)

All the best,
Arvid

dart

Post by dart » Wed May 18, 2022 7:13 pm

bttr wrote: ↑Wed May 18, 2022 4:29 pm I never used WordPress, but here a few links to get you started:
  1. WordPress exporter -- The 2017 version of a script for exporting FP data to WP version 2.8 database structure. You could use it as a starting point for your experiments. You probably need to change the script to match later WP versions.
  2. Database Description Β« WordPress Codex -- "The database structure and the diagram below were last updated in version 4.4."
  3. Beginner's Guide To WordPress Database Schema & Structure - BlogVault
I'm afraid those are a bit too 'over my head' @ the moment. I am not in any real rush to do this tho - Thanks fro the links.

dart

Post by dart » Wed May 18, 2022 7:36 pm

Arvid wrote: ↑Wed May 18, 2022 6:33 pm Hi,
dart wrote: ↑Tue May 17, 2022 10:56 pmFlaptpress only provides one cloumn per post.
Errrrm...am I understanding this right, you'd just like to have your entries in a multi-column layout like this?
If so, this is not a question of the blog engine you use, but of the selected theme ...
I am using the 'stock version look - which is one main column @ front page with a side column for categories etc.
(I do have a drop menu I added last year tho)

I was referring to the main page structure.

'top nav' & 'outer conainer' do not like the dimensions I have entered to get that extra width needed.
I'm sure there is a way but might not be worth the effort...

I had seen a simple wordpress theme that is similar to the above drawing.

dart

Post by dart » Fri May 20, 2022 6:00 pm

Arvid wrote: ↑Wed May 18, 2022 6:33 pm I do not know multi-column FlatPress themes, but you can simply enhance your current theme with a little CSS. Just increase the width of your content container to your needs. Then, divide your entries into columns with just two additional lines of CSS for the definition of the entry container of your theme (might be div.entry):div.entry {
(... all the other definitions ...)
column-width: 300px;
column-gap: 3em;

}

It's as simple as that, no need to invest days of work to build a completely new blog and migrate contents.

It's as simple as that, no need to invest days of work to build a completely new blog and migrate contents.(If you want to migrate to WP anyway, you find the export script bttr mentioned in our FlatPress extras repository
I had tried that a couple of times last year. There are entriies for normal columns & also for responsive. The normal is listed in percentage & the responsive in pixels, Besides the columns, there is an 'outer container' & the involved text that goes out of whack when the css changes are made. I could never get the text to align like it should. After that, I decided to leave it be.

I agree on your advice tho... I am happy with flatpress other than I would like to have more included in the live area other than empty space with everything 'vertcally stacked.