cookie function

This is the right place to report general bugs, make suggestions or ask for help.
dart

cookie function

Post by dart » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:22 am

Hello,
How can I disable or reconfigure the cookie function on Flatpress.
Unfortunately my webhost forgot to renew my domain name when it expired (I had prepaid until 2023)
I ended up losing it since the buyer wants $500US for my $6 domain.
Finally I found a $2 domain name that was the same ...just missing a 'dash' between two words.
After that, I was having issues with the main forum site I have (which is sort of linked with the flatpress blog.)
I corrected the cookie setting at the forum & fixed the issue - but the flatpress blog is slow to load - sometime doesn't load
the background...etc. I think something in flatepress- maybe in comments or elsewhere might be referring to the old domain name.

btw - I had disabled the webpage entry field last year.

Arvid
FlatPress Coder

Re: cookie function

Post by Arvid » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:17 pm

Hi,

first of all: Ouch, this is bad :/

About your technical problem: Did you check all of your theme's files for references to the old domain name? Maybe something is referenced but can not be found, leading your browser to wait for timeout? You can also utilize the "Network" tab of your browser's developer tools (F12 key) to look for ressources that can't be loaded (HTTP code 404).

As for the cookies, I doubt a connection. For your browser, the website under your old domain is a completely different one to the new one, so there should be no "orphaned" cookies whatsoever. It's just two different (and for your browser, unrelated) domains that happen to have the same session name.

All the best,
Arvid

dart

Post by dart » Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:32 pm

yes it was like a nightmare. It's all resolved now tho.

I have a website forum with flatpress installed in a /blog subdirectory. Everything always & now also working great. I do see a flatpress cookie when in developer mode - all is fine.

However my original concern was that I had humungus issues having the website part resolve to the new domain name. I did not want to start all new again so had to manually change all related to the old domain & replace with the new domain & create new cookie for the forum side. After a week of noob work, It's finally back to normal. Flatpress still has old cookie showing with no issues. All I changed in flatpress side was in the top heading I have a drop menu with links to a couple of forum (replaced with new link addresses their) sections. When I originally installed flatpress with the site was in April, 2021, I changed the theme to look exactly like the forum... design, background, logo etc. nobody is aware that they are 2 seperate entities.
Arvid wrote: ↑Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:17 pm About your technical problem: Did you check all of your theme's files for references to the old domain name? Maybe something is referenced but can not be found, leading your browser to wait for timeout? You can also utilize the "Network" tab of your browser's developer tools (F12 key) to look for ressources that can't be loaded (HTTP code 404).
As for the cookies, I doubt a connection. For your browser, the website under your old domain is a completely different one to the new one, so there should be no "orphaned" cookies whatsoever. It's just two different (and for your browser, unrelated) domains that happen to have the same session name.
Yes, i saw that afterwatds... I was anticipating future issues when this post was originally added. But thankfully flatpress is very resiliant to change & just kept working as usual in its subfolder πŸ‘

Arvid
FlatPress Coder

Post by Arvid » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:32 pm

dart wrote: ↑Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:32 pmIt's all resolved now tho.
Glad to hear.
dart wrote: ↑Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:32 pmBut thankfully flatpress is very resiliant to change & just kept working as usual in its subfolder πŸ‘
Yep, this is by design. As long as you don't add absolute URLs* to your themes and plugins, you can move your FP instance to any other path or server, and it will continue working without any problems.

*: Most (if not all) ressources like images, stylesheets and scripts can be referenced relative as well.

All the best,
Arvid