Arvid's FlatPress

Show off your FlatPress-powered blog site here.
Arvid
FlatPress Coder

Arvid's FlatPress

Post by Arvid » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:45 pm

Hi alltogether,

to open up the brand our new "Show off" section, I took over my show off posting from the old support forum. I posted it there in April 2013, some of my enhancements have moved to the FP standard in between.

I hereby proudly present my blog "Ruhrpott-Tourenbuch" at fahrrad.arvidzimmermann.de :)
This is the place where I collect my bike tours in the German Ruhr area - which used to be dusty and industrial for decades. But these times are gone, now the Ruhr area is very green and a great place to cycle. I love it :)

I enhanced some features in FlatPress which I'd like to share with the community. Maybe it inspires someone to tweak their own FlatPress installation - feel free to ask me for further details and codes of the individual functions!
  • The desktop theme is a slightly altered "TerraFirma".
  • The mobile theme is "iMobile" by Lantaca Ucasi.
  • Archives plugin (left side at the bottom of the page): A few lines of JavaScript and CSS take care that just the current year will initially be expanded. Would be too large otherwise.
  • LastEntries plugin: It's used twice (just by copy&rename) - on the right side it shows the last five, at the bottom of the page the last ten entries.
  • Images and galleries are displayed with the PhotoSwipe plugin. Check out the cool swipe functions on your mobile gizmo!
  • CustomBBCode plugin: I added some helpful BBcode tags as excellently described at http://wiki.flatpress.org/doc:plugins:bbcode:tips.
    One example was the mail tag. It contains a mail adress obfuscation which protects from spammers. It is already part of the default BBCode tag set.
  • Entry editor: Images and attachments are sorted by name, not by upload date. I also added custom BBCodes and some eye candy to the BBCode toolbar.tpl - looks much more fancy with graphical icons :) (These also have been taken into the FP standard yet.)
All the best,
Arvid

virtualsky

Re: Arvid's FlatPress

Post by virtualsky » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:21 am

Very nice; I like the simple, uncluttered look. It has the look of a newspaper or other professional publisher of sorts.
It ain't retro to me.... it's just how I live!
https://www.thegrove.in.nf/retroblog

dsteuer

Post by dsteuer » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:07 am

Hi Arvid,

how do you automatically change themes between "imobile" and "terra firma"? i only ever found a way to choose one theme?

Detlef

Btw: I studied in Do!

Arvid
FlatPress Coder

Post by Arvid » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:59 pm

virtualsky wrote: ↑Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:21 am Very nice; I like the simple, uncluttered look. It has the look of a newspaper or other professional publisher of sorts.
Thanks, this was the intention ;) I like the TerraFirma theme very much.

dsteuer wrote: ↑Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:07 am how do you automatically change themes between "imobile" and "terra firma"? i only ever found a way to choose one theme?
The "Mobile" plugin does this for me. Turns out, it never was on the wiki. Until now :D

dsteuer wrote: ↑Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:07 am Btw: I studied in Do!
The world is small :)

owen

Post by owen » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:38 pm

I hereby proudly present my blog "Ruhrpott-Tourenbuch" at fahrrad.arvidzimmermann.de
Are you saying that whole web site is a flatpress blog?
Or is there a link in there somewhere to your blog. Sorry i couldn't read it cuz i only know english.
very nice web site by the way. i like the map. how on earth did u put a map like that in your web page?

Arvid
FlatPress Coder

Post by Arvid » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:07 pm

owen wrote: ↑Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:38 pm Are you saying that whole web site is a flatpress blog?
Or is there a link in there somewhere to your blog. Sorry i couldn't read it cuz i only know english.
very nice web site by the way. i like the map. how on earth did u put a map like that in your web page?
Thanks! :)
Yep, the whole Touring Book site is a standard FlatPress installation, enhanced with a few plugins. Over the years, I wrote quite a few entries, and there are some static pages (such as the About page, the imprint and the custom 404 page).
The GPX Viewer plugin takes care of the maps, and I use the Internal URLs plugin quite often. PhotoSwipe creates the cool swipeable image galleries.

owen

Post by owen » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:33 pm

very impressive i'll have to look at the plugins more.
ps the map data comes from the open map project very cool

Arvid
FlatPress Coder

Post by Arvid » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:47 am

Yep, that's OpenStreetMap material. Props to JΓΌrgen Berkemeier who wrote the GPX Viewer library the plugin makes use of.

Arvid
FlatPress Coder

Post by Arvid » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:29 am

It took me quite some time, but finally I managed to rework my FlatPress blog. I replaced the Mobile plugin (managing the theme combination TerraFirma / iMobile) with a repsonsive layout based on the Leggero style of the standard Leggero theme. The look of the site didn't change too much, but now both desktop and mobile users get served the same design, just a little adjusted to their screen size.

Also, I finally replaced the "normal" image gallery in each and every blog entry with a PhotoSwipe gallery.

Have a look if you're curious: https://fahrrad.arvidzimmermann.de/