a simple Emoticons-Plugin

Find help with FlatPress plugins, report a plugin bug, request or present new plugins.
fraenkiman

a simple Emoticons-Plugin

Post by fraenkiman » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:36 pm

Hello, everyone.

while browsing our wiki I stumbled upon a source code of Edoardo Vacchi (NoWhereMan) and created a ready-made plugin for the FlatPress community.

The plugin works without any changes to the existing FlatPress blog.

Have fun with it and best regards
:pencil: You are strong in PHP and Java Script? :point_right: Then help us to improve FlatPress. :point_left:

:exploding_head: Looking for ideas, templates, examples and answers to frequently asked questions?
:bulb: You'll find it here.

My :de: FlatPress-Blog: https://frank-web.dedyn.io

virtualsky

Re: a simple Emoticons-Plugin

Post by virtualsky » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:05 pm

Fantastic! Thanks for the update! It's very easy to implement and to use.
It ain't retro to me.... it's just how I live!
https://www.thegrove.in.nf/retroblog

Arvid
FlatPress Coder

Post by Arvid » Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:48 pm

Nice, I really like that :)
I have an improvement suggestion, though: Emoticons at the end of a line should also be replaced.

Code: Select all

Text ;) Text :)
Text
The ;) is being replaced, but not the :)

I also love the idea of the "instructions" link in the plugin description! Small suggestion here as well: The link target should be ./fp-plugins/emoticons/doc_emoticons.txt (leading dot) instead of /fp-plugins/emoticons/doc_emoticons.txt to make it work for FP instances in subdirectories.

All the best,
Arvid

fraenkiman

Post by fraenkiman » Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:30 pm

Hello Arvid, @all,

Thank you for your comment regarding the path specification and the suggestion.

I've customized the plugin, added a few 100's of emoticons and adjusted wiki articles.
Each emoticon is now associated with a Markdown-like character string.

Have fun with it and best regards
Frank
:pencil: You are strong in PHP and Java Script? :point_right: Then help us to improve FlatPress. :point_left:

:exploding_head: Looking for ideas, templates, examples and answers to frequently asked questions?

Arvid
FlatPress Coder

Post by Arvid » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:56 pm

Impressive set of icons, this is :D

Well done!

DeltaLima

Post by DeltaLima » Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:07 am

Hi Frank,

thanks for this plugin - i like to use it :) I would like to suggest to reduce the possibility to enter emojis just with the ":emoji_name:"-syntax and throw out the unicode and some other type forms of emoticons from the array. background is, that i was writing a blogpost and noticed, that the number 2600 for example got interpreted as sun emoji. Also in some other cases emojis where made where it is not supposed to (like "(o" stands for party emoji - never seen this before and pretty annoying :D )

does this plugin has an git repository where i can send you a pull request? :)

fraenkiman

Post by fraenkiman » Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:18 pm

Hello DeltaLima,

I'm glad you like using this plugin. Thanks also for the suggestion.
DeltaLima wrote: ↑Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:07 am does this plugin has an git repository where i can send you a pull request? :)
Not yet. I will upload it to Github in the coming days so you can send me a pull request.

With best regards
Frank

fraenkiman

Post by fraenkiman » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:45 pm

Hello everyone,

the emoticons plugin has received a small update from me. Although it contains significantly fewer emoticons, it now has a toolbar. The emoticons are now also SEO-friendly, as you can read them with a screen reader.
If you feel the need to add additional emoticons, I recommend visiting this page beforehand with as many different browsers and operating systems as possible. Here you can check in advance whether and how the emoticon looks on the respective end device.

Users of FlatPress 1.2.1 or lower would have to insert a line in three templates after the wiki article.

Users who want to download and test the current FlatPress version 1.3 Beta1 from Github do not need to install the plugin.

With best regards
Frank