Need help testing: PHP 8.1 compatibility for FlatPress 1.3

For devs and testers: Tests of current development versions, technical details of the code.
virtualsky

Re: Need help testing: Smarty update

Post by virtualsky » Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:42 pm

stippi wrote: ↑Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:34 am
Hi everyone,

virtualsky is absolute right. I activated secure HTTP and went on with success. Thank you!

stippi
Hey, I'm glad that worked for you, too! You're most welcome. :D
It ain't retro to me.... it's just how I live!
https://www.thegrove.in.nf/retroblog

virtualsky

Post by virtualsky » Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:44 pm

In regards to the visitor counter, I can see that the text file that contains the number of visitors is getting updated. However, the template is just not displaying the $views variable as it should. It worked in 1.2, but doesn't seem to be working in 1.3Smarty for some reason.
It ain't retro to me.... it's just how I live!
https://www.thegrove.in.nf/retroblog

Arvid
FlatPress Coder

Post by Arvid » Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:39 pm

Hi,

I'm happy to finally announce that I (should have) finished my work on PHP 8.1 compatibility. I merged both the issue92_strftime and issue94_smartyupdate branch into the master, solving these tasks:
  • Adding a replacement for strftime() which is marked as deprecated as of PHP 8.1 (issue #92). Cool thing is, no one needs to change their date format settings on the blog, the old strftime format (e.g., %Y-%m-%d) keeps working.
  • Updating Smarty to its latest version 4.2.1 (issue #94)
Please note:
  • These changes lift up FlatPress' required minimum PHP version from 5.6 to 7.1.
  • Unfortunately, updating Smarty changed the code of function.html_select_date.php significantly - destroying laborix' #132 fix to display months with localized strings in the search form. This must be done again, adapted to the new code there - I didn't manage to do so yet.

Now i ask you for thorough testing:
Please download the latest FlatPress development version from the master branch and let me know if everything works out for you. If you have the possibilities, please test under different PHP versions from 7.1 to 8.1.
Thank you very much!

If the PHP8.1-related changes work properly, my next task will then be to (finally!) integrate franah's Responsive Admin branch.
And then we have our next version 1.3 :)

All the best,
Arvid
πŸ“ Project blogβ€ƒβ€ƒπŸ“– Docsβ€ƒβ€ƒπŸ¦ Twitterβ€ƒβ€ƒπŸ˜ Mastodonβ€ƒβ€ƒπŸ“œ Forum RSS feedβ€ƒβ€ƒπŸ“œ Project blog RSS feed  ❀️ Donate

Save the date: FlatPress Community Meetup in πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ Berlin on March 23rd! Announcement, Forum Topic

πŸ”₯ How to rework your themes and plugins for FlatPress 1.3 / Smarty 4 πŸ”₯