How to transfer content from a blog to an other one

This is the right place to report general bugs, make suggestions or ask for help.
eagleman

How to transfer content from a blog to an other one

Post by eagleman » Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:31 pm

Hello
I have decided to transfer all the content of my freewaresnews blog to my personal blog.
What I have to copy to do this?
Let me know.
Once completed this operation the freewaresnews domain will redirect to my personal blog.

fraenkiman

Re: How to transfer content from a blog to an other one

Post by fraenkiman » Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:21 pm

Hello eagleman,

usually the backup/ the transfer of the fp-content directory is enough. Before importing to your personal blog, I recommend to create a backup first - then transfer the backed up data from freewaresnews blog first.

The procedure corresponds to the backup and restore principle from this wiki article.

With best regards
Frank
:pencil: You are strong in PHP and Java Script? :point_right: Then help us to improve FlatPress. :point_left:

:exploding_head: Looking for ideas, templates, examples and answers to frequently asked questions?
:bulb: You'll find it here.

My :de: FlatPress-Blog: https://frank-web.dedyn.io

eagleman

Post by eagleman » Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:27 pm

I know, but I want to know how to add old posts of a blog to another blog without overwriting the existing and newer ones. What kind of backup is the best one in this case?

fraenkiman

Post by fraenkiman » Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:30 pm

Hello eagleman,

the chance that you overwrite the existing and newer posts is quite low - just because of the directory and file structure in the fp-content/content directory.

The directories and the files are in the format
entryYYYYMMDD-HHMMSS - time of creation.

That you created a post in your Freewaresnews blog on the same day, at the same time as in your personal blog, is quite unlikely.

Where the chances increase a bit; to overwrite something, concerns the static pages (fp-content/content/static). In this directory is the menu (menu.txt), about (about.txt) -> part of the default distribution.

My recommendation:
1.) Full backup of your personal blog.
2.) Full backup of your Freewaresnews blog
3.) Copy only the directory fp-content/content/YY from the Freewaresnews blog to your personal blog. YY stands for the year of creation.
4.) If you have included images in the old posts, you must also copy the directory fp-content/images from the old blog to the new one.

Depending on the method you use to transfer the files from A to B, you have to check the directory and file permissions at the end, correct them if necessary (chmod 775).

Basically, as long as you have a full backup of your personal blog, you don't need to worry.

With best regards
Frank
:pencil: You are strong in PHP and Java Script? :point_right: Then help us to improve FlatPress. :point_left:

:exploding_head: Looking for ideas, templates, examples and answers to frequently asked questions?
:bulb: You'll find it here.

My :de: FlatPress-Blog: https://frank-web.dedyn.io

laborix

Post by laborix » Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:34 am

eagleman wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:27 pm... but I want to know how to add old posts of a blog to another blog without overwriting the existing and newer ones ...
Most important are following directories
- attachs
- content
- images

First of all do a full backup of your existing blog in that you want to include the other blog entries. You can doing this by download the full flatpress folder. After this copy the other three dirs (attachs, content, images) into the existing blog.

Now it is very important that you do following steps:

- clear complete the folder fp-content/cache using ftp
- clear your browser cache
- login to your existing Flatpress and change to the Admin panel - Panel - Maintain
- do a rebuild index

After this logout and clear the cache on the webspace and in your browser. The moved entries should now be available.