User Comments Problem

This is the right place to report general bugs, make suggestions or ask for help.
John-44L

User Comments Problem

Post by John-44L » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:20 pm

I have been running version 0.909.1 for many years but have never managed to make the Comments work. This has not mattered in my case but now it's important. Can I upgrade from my version to the latest version? The announcement only mentions upgrading from v. 1.00.

Alternately can you suggest how I might get comments working in v. 0.909.1

Thanks, John

Arvid
FlatPress Coder

Re: User Comments Problem

Post by Arvid » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:41 pm

John, welcome aboard the new support forum!

I strongly recommend using the latest FlatPress version. Version 0.909 is more than ten years outdated and might contain bugs and cause trouble with current templates and plugins.

Easiest way to jump to FP 1.1:
  • First: Backup your whole FP installation before any change. Just to be sure :)
  • Create a subfolder in your FlatPress instance (e.g. "newwebsite") and install FlatPress 1.1 there.
  • After the new installation is complete, delete its fp-content directory.
  • Then copy the fp-content folder from your 0.909 instance to the new 1.1 instance. (To prevent broken caches, perform "Maintain" -> "Rebuild index" and "Purge theme and templates cache" in the admin panel.)
  • Also copy the folder of your template (fp-interface/themes/[yourtemplate]) from the old FP instance to the new one.
  • Check if the plugins you use exist for the current FlatPress version and install it. (1.1 already comes with many helpful plugins, enable those you need.)
  • If everything works fine, you can delete the contents of your old 0.909 instance and move the 1.1 instance one folder up.
Let us know if that worked for you!

All the best,
Arvid

John-44L

Post by John-44L » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:14 pm

Thanks very much Arvid - looks easy enough - will try soon. Not quite sure what you mean in point #2 by "your flatpress instance". Am assuming you mean the folder on the server where the old flatpress version exists - right?

John

Arvid
FlatPress Coder

Post by Arvid » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:10 pm

John-44L wrote: ↑Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:14 pmNot quite sure what you mean in point #2 by "your flatpress instance". Am assuming you mean the folder on the server where the old flatpress version exists - right?
Yup, exactly :)