fp-markdown not working?

Find help with FlatPress plugins, report a plugin bug, request or present new plugins.
dajare

fp-markdown not working?

Post by dajare » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:18 pm

Having used Flatpress for a particular job way back in 2008 (!), I'm delighted to see that it has come back to life. (Thank you, Arvid!) In fact, it turns out I contributed the "favicon" now used by FP, so that's a little something! :)

One drawback for me in using is it is the reliance on BBcode β€” to my mind, a very cumbersome "markup" language. I was glad to see that there is a Markdown plugin but, sadly, it doesn't seem to be working: it will not initialize. Besides that, the PHP Markdown version is from 2007, and there may well be other things broken.

I haven't worked with FP's plugin system before, and I'm not much of a coder (at all!). Does anyone have a working Markdown plugin for FP yet? It would be very good to have moving forward. Thanks!

dajare

Re: fp-markdown not working?

Post by dajare » Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:44 pm

P.s. I forgot to mention: the link provided in the wiki for this plugin fails to connect. It was saved in the Wayback Machine, however, and that's where I got it from.

franah

Post by franah » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:15 pm

Hi, I downloaded and fixed it. Now, it works.
Attachments
markdown.zip
New Markdown plugin.
(48.15 KiB) Downloaded 239 times

dajare

Post by dajare » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:53 am

franah wrote: ↑Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:15 pm Hi, I downloaded and fixed it. Now, it works.
πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘ Superb! Thanks so much for that, franah β€” now working for me, too!

When you looked at it, did you get any sense for how trivial (or not!) it would be to update the PHP Markdown and Smartypants libraries that it uses? A quick check of those pages suggests it might not be simply a case of drop-in replacement. :?

Anyway, great to have this version working, and thanks once again.

dajare

Post by dajare » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:42 pm

By the way, @franah, I needed to reload the plugins page after enabling, as it still showed it "grey" (disabled), even though I had clicked the Enable link. After re-load, it showed "green" and worked properly.

Also β€” I did this twice, as I tried to install your responsive admin theme (Beta 2) and broke my FP installation. 8-) Since I had just been testing, I just deleted and started again, and got the same result with your fixed Markdown plugin as described above.

Nice to see the project moving forward. Thanks for your efforts! When things calm down for me into 2020, hopefully I can try creating a theme or two for it. 🀞

franah

Post by franah » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:38 pm

When you looked at it, did you get any sense for how trivial (or not!) it would be to update the PHP Markdown and Smartypants libraries that it uses? A quick check of those pages suggests it might not be simply a case of drop-in replacement.
I don't know if the update will be simple or not. I would have to investigate it. :?
Also β€” I did this twice, as I tried to install your responsive admin theme (Beta 2) and broke my FP installation. 8-) Since I had just been testing, I just deleted and started again, and got the same result with your fixed Markdown plugin as described above.
So, admin theme doesnt work? It's strange. In the admin theme, most of the changes are visual. Could you give me more information? Some php error that shows you on the screen or warnings. Are you using the latest version of FlatPress? I tried on localhost and online server with markdown plugin fixed and the admin theme works without problems. :?:

franah

Post by franah » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:38 pm

When you looked at it, did you get any sense for how trivial (or not!) it would be to update the PHP Markdown and Smartypants libraries that it uses? A quick check of those pages suggests it might not be simply a case of drop-in replacement.
I updated the libraries to latest Version. :)
Attachments
markdown.zip
MarkDown with libraries updated.
(41.17 KiB) Downloaded 236 times

dajare

Post by dajare » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:09 pm

franah wrote: ↑Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:38 pmI updated the libraries to latest Version. :)
Wahey! You're on a roll! :D I just tested, and works great (though for some reason the plugin page still needs refreshing for that entry to turn "green"). Thanks so much!

Is it worth putting somewhere accessible and giving it a new version number, dev ID update, etc?

Arvid
FlatPress Coder

Post by Arvid » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:34 pm

Franah, you're awesome :) Would you like to take the plugin into your GitHub? Alternatively, I could put it into the flatpress-extras repo.
Maybe we should at least try to contact the original plugin author if that's okay with him. There's an email adress in plugin.markdown.php.

franah

Post by franah » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:21 pm

Is it worth putting somewhere accessible and giving it a new version number, dev ID update, etc?
Yes, but before do that, I read that you can customize the parser configuration. So, I want to create a plugin with a panel, to personalize the plugin.
Franah, you're awesome :) Would you like to take the plugin into your GitHub? Alternatively, I could put it into the flatpress-extras repo.
Yes, of course! :D
Maybe we should at least try to contact the original plugin author if that's okay with him. There's an email adress in plugin.markdown.php.
I think this is a good idea, but there isnt an email in the plugin-markdown.php. Only a website, but it doesnt load..