Question about the french translation

For devs and testers: Tests of current development versions, technical details of the code.
macadoum

Question about the french translation

Post by macadoum » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:21 am

Hello,

I saw a lot of translations strings like this in the fr-fr file:

'act_edit' => 'Éditer'

'moreopts' => 'Plus d\'options'

Is is still something needed today or is it just an old style of special character translation for SEO or Html ?

'act_edit' => 'Éditer' would be easier to read.

As a comparison, I looked at the greek and danish translations and there is no special encoding character used, so I wonder if it would be useful to change that is the french translation ?

fraenkiman

Re: Question about the french translation

Post by fraenkiman » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:50 pm

Hello Macadoum,

welcome aboard.
FlatPress supports the French language in the character set encoding UTF8 and iso-8859-15. You can change the character set encoding in the admin area in the "Options" panel. I think that such special character translations are necessary in the character set encoding. See readme.md

You can send me some customized language files here or via Github. I will then test whether the display is still correct in both character set encodings.

With best regards
Frank
:pencil: You are strong in PHP and Java Script? :point_right: Then help us to improve FlatPress. :point_left:

:exploding_head: Looking for ideas, templates, examples and answers to frequently asked questions?
:bulb: You'll find it here.

My :de: FlatPress-Blog: https://frank-web.dedyn.io

Arvid
FlatPress Coder

Re: Question about the french translation

Post by Arvid » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:40 am

macadoum wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:21 am
'act_edit' => 'Éditer'

'moreopts' => 'Plus d\'options'
Welcome to FlatPress :)

Just a note on this: While

Code: Select all

'Éditer'
should work just fine,

'Plus d'options'
will crash the code. The single quote ' is used as string delimiter here; if you want to have it as a character within the string, it must be escaped with the backslash. PHP allows for double quote as string delimiter as well, so one could alternatively go with

"Plus d'options"

All the best
Arvid