Two beginner's questions

This is the right place to report general bugs, make suggestions or ask for help.
whitecat

Two beginner's questions

Post by whitecat » Sun May 26, 2024 8:39 am

Hi there,

I'm currently looking for a blog software for a friend who wants to build some kind of a travel blog. Much text, some pictures, that's all, thus something Wordpress could have handled 15 years ago. However, nowaday's Wordpress is far too oversized for this small project, so I searched for an alternative and found FlatPress.

There are some special requirements though:

1. The blog will be strictly private. Readers of this blog must authenticate in one or another way (username/password is sufficient). No exceptions! However, I haven't seen this functionality in FlatPress, neither in its core nor as a plugin. Is there a (simple) built-in technique to achieve this goal? Did I miss anything? (Of course, plain http authentication would be an option, but it's more cumbersome to create new user "accounts" this way; I would have to do this for my friend, who is a photographer, not an IT administrator.)

2. The blog articles will contain many pictures, all in all a few hundreds of them. Is there a possibility to batch upload them instead of uploading each picture separately? (E. g. upload a huge zipfile or transfer the pictures via an FTP client into a special directory)? Again I haven't found an out-of-the-box solution, but maybe I just missed it.

Thank you.

whitecat

Arvid
FlatPress Coder

Re: Two beginner's questions

Post by Arvid » Fri May 31, 2024 8:06 pm

Hi and welcome to FlatPress!

For the contents you describe, FlatPress should be just right.
But... :)
whitecat wrote: โ†‘Sun May 26, 2024 8:39 am1. The blog will be strictly private. Readers of this blog must authenticate in one or another way (username/password is sufficient). No exceptions! However, I haven't seen this functionality in FlatPress, neither in its core nor as a plugin. Is there a (simple) built-in technique to achieve this goal? Did I miss anything? (Of course, plain http authentication would be an option, but it's more cumbersome to create new user "accounts" this way; I would have to do this for my friend, who is a photographer, not an IT administrator.)
Indeed, FlatPress does not support that out of the box - my first approach would also be HTTP authentication via htaccess. This is of course not great if you do not have a static portion of users.
Thinking ahead, one could create a plugin that at least helps adding users to the htpasswd file.

Alternatively, using a single username/password combination for all readers may do the job as well, depending on your audience - and security requirements.
whitecat wrote: โ†‘Sun May 26, 2024 8:39 am2. The blog articles will contain many pictures, all in all a few hundreds of them. Is there a possibility to batch upload them instead of uploading each picture separately? (E. g. upload a huge zipfile or transfer the pictures via an FTP client into a special directory)? Again I haven't found an out-of-the-box solution, but maybe I just missed it.
It's no problem to upload many pictures at once via FTP to the fp-content/images folder. FlatPress will automatically create the thumbnail for the images when they are first shown on the blog.
I use this regularly on my own blog, especially to fill galleries: After creating the new gallery with the Uploader in the Admin Area, I upload the images to fp-content/images/NameOfTheGallery. With the Gallery Captions plugin, I then create the caption for each image. (Example entry on my blog; gallery at the bottom.)

Let us know if that helps you :)
All the best,
Arvid