What does everyone hope to see in the next version?

This is the right place to report general bugs, make suggestions or ask for help.
Tongara

Re: What does everyone hope to see in the next version?

Post by Tongara » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:48 am

laborix wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:34 am First of all, the Rebuild Index solution works fine since 2007 (tested from FP 0.703.5 to FP 1.1) and it's often better to rename the old FP folder and build a new FP installation. It's your choice, I do it since FP 0.703.5 so.

Ok, yes, you can override your current FP folder with the new version, it is also is an solution. But with your own "optional" extensions/fixes/optimizations, it's your turn to test what happens after override.

You asked for "what files", download the current Github rev. 550, the current FP 1.1 Zip and the OpenSource tool WinMerge.
see: https://winmerge.org/?lang=en
Compare both unpacked folders and you see which are different.
I'm aware of the "rebuild index solution", and have never said it doesn't work, so I don't understand why you're defending it. I'm not calling it's use into question. It's just simply not what I'm asking about. I appreciate the information, regardless.

As for the rest, it is exactly what I was asking. I can confirm that all of my code is running fine as of PHP 7.4.11 on FP 1.1 (with no issues, to boot!) and a test installation of FP 1.2 DEV (from the current Github rev) has my extensions/fixes/optimizations working fine also. I will now wait for the full release of 1.2 before updating my version.

My question was based around the consumption of time having to find bits of code I changed and port them over to the new version by hand when other platforms I've used previously have made it a doddle to do. Given that FP has many files, it can be a bit of a daunting task. Knowing which files are necessary and which aren't saves time and lets me get on with building my website.

I would have appreciated a more concise "these are the files that are changed" or a simple "I'm not really sure, but you could try this" to a seemingly more "piss off and do it yourself then" because you feel that I've called the "rebuild index solution" into question, but it's fine. I enjoy flatpress, I just find certain aspects like such a tiny bit tedious. Thank you for your help, and please take care, etc~ ;)

Arvid
FlatPress Coder

Post by Arvid » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:36 am

Tongara wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:15 am There is the advice about a single file at a time, but it is seemingly for small updates and bug fixes. I think it would be handy to know exactly what files are 100% needed to be updated between 1.1 and 1.2, and which are more optional.
I will publish an update package 1.1 to 1.2 which contains just the changed files. (We also have that for 1.1, see download page.)

If you are familiar with Git, you can create this via git-bash any time. Just navigate to your local working copy and run:

Code: Select all

git archive -o ../11to12.zip HEAD $(git diff --name-only 0b3fdc7d4e583f8be840b7130a9e4320a3f85200 --diff-filter=ACMRTUXB)
This will create a 11to12.zip that contains all files changed in the latest revision ("HEAD") since commit 0b3fdc7d4e583f8be840b7130a9e4320a3f85200 (the the final 1.1 version).

In your case of changed system files, I'd alter Laborix' WinMerge approach a little bit: Use WinMerge to compare "vanilla" FlatPress 1.1 to your instance to identify the files you altered. (Ignore the fp_content folder, of course.)
Then update to 1.2 with the update package, and re-integrate your changes. (Of course, do a full backup at first. If anything goes wrong, you can simply roll back to it.)

(As for the sitemap in particular, you'll propably don't need that any more. FlatPress 1.2 has one out of the box :) )

All the best,
Arvid

Tongara

Post by Tongara » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:02 pm

Arvid wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:36 am
Tongara wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:15 am There is the advice about a single file at a time, but it is seemingly for small updates and bug fixes. I think it would be handy to know exactly what files are 100% needed to be updated between 1.1 and 1.2, and which are more optional.
I will publish an update package 1.1 to 1.2 which contains just the changed files. (We also have that for 1.1, see download page.)

If you are familiar with Git, you can create this via git-bash any time. Just navigate to your local working copy and run:

Code: Select all

git archive -o ../11to12.zip HEAD $(git diff --name-only 0b3fdc7d4e583f8be840b7130a9e4320a3f85200 --diff-filter=ACMRTUXB)
This will create a 11to12.zip that contains all files changed in the latest revision ("HEAD") since commit 0b3fdc7d4e583f8be840b7130a9e4320a3f85200 (the the final 1.1 version).

In your case of changed system files, I'd alter Laborix' WinMerge approach a little bit: Use WinMerge to compare "vanilla" FlatPress 1.1 to your instance to identify the files you altered. (Ignore the fp_content folder, of course.)
Then update to 1.2 with the update package, and re-integrate your changes. (Of course, do a full backup at first. If anything goes wrong, you can simply roll back to it.)

(As for the sitemap in particular, you'll propably don't need that any more. FlatPress 1.2 has one out of the box :) )

All the best,
Arvid
Really appreciate this response and look forward to upgrading in the future~ :)

I'm glad to see the sitemap I helped to fix up a bit is being used in the next version!

Arvid
FlatPress Coder

Post by Arvid » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:03 pm

You might or might not have noticed:
We have the first beta release of FlatPress 1.2 "Legato" :D
Please help testing and report bugs and glitches you encounter.

I decided not to include the new admin area yet. It needs to be reviewed and tested intensively, this will take some time. Time we do not have, since PHP 7.3 already ran out of active support and will finally run out of extended security support in December. And unfortunately, FlatPress 1.1 is not ready for PHP 7.4 / 8.0 - but 1.2 is.

Tongara wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:02 pm Really appreciate this response and look forward to upgrading in the future~ :)
Please let me know if the update package worked well.
Tongara wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:02 pm I'm glad to see the sitemap I helped to fix up a bit is being used in the next version!
And I am glad to see the community supporting me on my mission, I really am. Thanks! :)

All the best,
Arvid

eagleman

Post by eagleman » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:07 am

I would like to have a search engine into the Manage Entries section. It will be useful for searching a specific entry without scrolling all the entite section

Torsten

Post by Torsten » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:08 pm

FlatPress as a multiuser blog system would be great in my opinion.
On Error GoTo Bed

Lubomír Ludvík

Post by Lubomír Ludvík » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:49 am

Torsten wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:08 pm FlatPress as a multiuser blog system would be great in my opinion.
That would be enough for a start small hack: some entries are only visible when somebody is logged
if login=on then show this entry

laborix

Post by laborix » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:02 pm

Torsten wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:08 pm FlatPress as a multiuser blog system would be great in my opinion.
You can do that now, but it's a bit unsafe. Run the setup several times and create a new user with each setup run.

The only weak point is that all users have full access (same rights) and if two users edit the same post at the same time, the post is simply saved without notice that someone else is currently editing it. But this is actually just a tinkering solution and not recommended ;)