Second beta release of FlatPress 1.2 "Legato": Please help testing

General information and announcements regarding the FlatPress project

laborix

Re: Second beta release of FlatPress 1.2 "Legato": Please help testing

Post by laborix » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:50 am

Before releasing Flatpress 1.2, you should think about the fact that at the moment a password of 6 characters is still allowed when running the setup :shock:

At the moment you should use a password with at least 11 characters, consisting of upper/lower case letters, numbers and special characters.

See file: /setup/libs/main.lib.php

And by the way, some of the error texts are not included in the language files :o

Tongara

Post by Tongara » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:09 pm

I'm ready for a release whenever you are!

Arvid
FlatPress Coder

Post by Arvid » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:14 pm

laborix wrote: ↑Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:50 am At the moment you should use a password with at least 11 characters, consisting of upper/lower case letters, numbers and special characters.
It's quite disputed if this really creates strong passwords, since people tend to just use something like "[somesimplepassword]1!" (and after being prompted for a password change, simply "[the samesimplepassword]2!".
I for myself find the xkcd method quite helpful (which even works without any special characters).

I just don't want to nag the FlatPress users too much there. I'd rather create a wiki page that discusses this topic and offers some good ways to create secure passwords.

laborix wrote: ↑Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:50 am And by the way, some of the error texts are not included in the language files :o
Uh, not good - which ones?

All the best,
Arvid

laborix

Post by laborix » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:49 pm

Arvid wrote: ↑Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:14 pm... Uh, not good - which ones? ...
line 67: ...Setup is running: if you are the owner, you can delete ' . SETUPTEMP_FILE . ' to restart...
line 99: ...is not a valid username. Username must be alphanumeric and should not contain spaces. ...
line 103: ...Password must contain at least 6 non-space characters ...
line 106: ...Passwords did not match...
line 109: ...is not a valid email address ...
line 113: ...is not a valid URL...

And on the subject of passwords. Yes, there are too many passwords in lists. And yes, a 6-digit password ran through within an hour with all possible options.

Therefore, a 11-digit password, even if it is simple, takes a "little" more time :D

Arvid
FlatPress Coder

Post by Arvid » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:16 pm

Thank you all very much for your great testing efforts!
I just released the final version 1.2, it feels great :D

See this topic: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=222

All the best,
Arvid

Arvid
FlatPress Coder

Post by Arvid » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:19 pm

laborix wrote: ↑Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:49 pm
Arvid wrote: ↑Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:14 pm... Uh, not good - which ones? ...
line 67: ...Setup is running: if you are the owner, you can delete ' . SETUPTEMP_FILE . ' to restart...
line 99: ...is not a valid username. Username must be alphanumeric and should not contain spaces. ...
line 103: ...Password must contain at least 6 non-space characters ...
line 106: ...Passwords did not match...
line 109: ...is not a valid email address ...
line 113: ...is not a valid URL...
Ah, I see. The localization of the setup steps is on my list, but I didn't want to delay the release of 1.2 any further.

laborix wrote: ↑Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:49 pm And on the subject of passwords. Yes, there are too many passwords in lists. And yes, a 6-digit password ran through within an hour with all possible options.

Therefore, a 11-digit password, even if it is simple, takes a "little" more time :D
Length it is, indeed. Length, and the absence of personal information (names, birth dates, ...) and known phrases (song lyrics etc).

And to mention this explicitly: Thanks Matthias, for the huge part you contributed to the latest FP release again! :)

laborix

Post by laborix » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:17 am

Arvid wrote: ↑Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:19 pm... And to mention this explicitly: Thanks Matthias, for the huge part you contributed to the latest FP release again! :) ...
Thank you, always gladly :)