creating language pack for Brazilian Portuguese

This is the right place to report general bugs, make suggestions or ask for help.
randy

creating language pack for Brazilian Portuguese

Post by randy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:19 am

I want to make a language pack for Brazilian Portuguese.

I’m not so sure how to do it. Here’s what I’ve done so far.

In the directory fp-interface/lang/ I copied and pasted the directory en-us and changed the name to pt-br. In that directory, I edited the file lang.conf.php to:

Code: Select all

<?php

$langconf = array();
	$langconf['id'] = 'Português (Brasil)';
	$langconf['locale'] = 'pt-br';
	$langconf['charsets'][0] = 'utf-8';
	$langconf['charsets'][1] = 'iso-8859-15';

?>
This resulted in the “Português (Brasil)” option appearing in the Language dropdown menu in the International Settings section under the “Options” option on the Admin page. I selected this option and saved.

I then edited some items in the lang.admin.main.php file. (A portion of that edited file is below.) After saving the file, I expected these translated strings to appear when I refreshed the the page but they didn’t. Obviously there’s some additional step or steps I need to do to make these translations appear. Can you tell me what else I need to do?

Code: Select all

$lang['admin']['panel']['main'] = 'Principal';

$lang['admin']['main']['default'] = array(
		'head'		=> 'Bem-vindo ao painel de controle!',
		'descr'		=> 'Selecione uma ação.',

eagleman

Re: creating language pack for Brazilian Portuguese

Post by eagleman » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:55 am

You have a lot of work to do.
There are many files to translate.
All the language files into fp-interface/lang folder
All the language files into fp-plugins folder, this means every language file for every preinstalled plugin
The language file into setup/lang folder.
Probably i forgot something but it's a huge list of translations to do

randy

Post by randy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:14 pm

Yes, it's a lot of work, but I really want to use FlatPress and my target audience is in Brazil, so it needs to be done. I'm about 1/3 complete with the fp-interface files.

One thing I'm not sure how to translate. In the maintenance section of the Admin section, there's an option "Rebuild Index". I don't know what happens when you click on that link, so I don't know how to translate it.

What does clicking on "Rebuild Index" do?

randy

Post by randy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:51 pm

I may be a bit dense, but I don't see a reason to translate the setup.php file (although I just completed doing so). I don't see how to use a version of this file in any language except English since you can't change the language until it's installed. Or am I missing something? If there's a way to do the setup with a different language, I'd like to know how so I can test/debug my translation.